Tools needed: ~plastic bucket
~ a tall glass
~rocks to weigh down the glass
~ cranberries and snips of boxwood and or holly.
Other filler can be used: evergreen, orange slices, cinnamon sticks, star aster, fresh fruit or flowers etc.
Steps: 1) Fill the bucket with water a couple of inches below the desired height of your candleholder, make sure you allow for displacement.
2) Place rocks inside the glass. Place the glass in the center of the bucket. The glass will create a void where you will later place the candle.
3) Drop the fresh cranberries in the water, they will float.
4) Freeze the bucket until the water turns to ice.
5) When you're ready to use your candleholder: run the outside of the bucket under hot water to loosen the glass, then pop it out of the center.
6) Place your votive in the center hole where the glass used to be and light.
How gorgeous is this?
Photo: courtesy of Shabby & Charme
Note: for a more neutral, non-holiday, look you can leave out the cranberries. Various sized and shaped containers can be used to add variety.
One of my favorite ideas is using fresh flowers for a wedding or special event. The ideas for filler are limitless.
These are so fun and so different than ordinary luminaries. Enjoy! ~Melissa
Photos: courtesy of Google Images