Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Winter Mantle




After all the Christmas is put away I always love to bring in some decorations for Winter so everything doesn't look so bare.

I just purchased some lovely, vintage frames from a friend's antique shoppe and  some adorable silver deer from the after Christmas clearance at Crate and Barrel.

I added in some greens, pinecones and mercury glass votive holders.

Then I got the Ballard Design catalog and decided that it needed something more..

So I picked up some sweet burlap wreaths, also on after Christmas clearance!

I will be putting a chalkboard in one of the frames and I have an adorable "Love" banner that should be here in a few days.

I really like the way it turned out...



We originally had above the mantle painted the same as all the walls~ 




But I wanted it to be white so it appeared that the molding went all the way to the crown molding. 
I also thought it would allow my accessories to really stand out~





After it was painted white~
Note my newly purchased vintage apple ladder to the left of the mantle, I'm in love!





~Also note the big, blank square that was from my Christmas mantle. I took down the wreath and hung it on the wall. I purchased the cutest letter "O" and some burlap ribbon to hang on there :)

And it turned out like this~ 








Now back to my mantle...  I added some accessories~




And a few more~




And ~










Now back to my ladder! I picked it up at the same shoppe where I purchased the frames.  I plan on hanging linens from the rungs.
Here's a better pic, before it found it's home next to the mantle ~










What a fun way to start the New Year! More projects to come very soon. ~Melissa

12 comments:

  1. Everything looks lovely...a side note......funny you chose that ladder.....our Grandfather was a house painter and he used a ladder EXACTLY like that.....a little of Grandpap's spirit in your beautiful home!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sis!! I will think of him often :)

      Delete
  2. How pretty, Melissa! I love the neutrals with the white! Thanks so much for sharing!

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend~you are so sweet <3

      Delete
    2. You did a lovely job. I like what you did with the room. Some great ideas. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete
    3. Thank you!!! And thank you for visiting <3

      Delete
  3. Amazing ladder - love your old house! I live in a 100 year old home that we had the pleasure of renovating - enjoy the process!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your mantle white! what a wonderful difference!

    and your ladder is so very old, and painty, and shabby cool. =)

    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two questions for you: is your bookcase always that neat and tidy and perfectly lined up?lol And- can you come to my house and show me how to tidy up? Just kidding! I really like your country charm decorating style...Love your house and your blog.I also really like that apple ladder too. I live in eastern Canada, we have lots of farms and apples and those ladders too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! To be perfectly honest Susannah~yes. It's mostly my hubby's prized books and the boys know not to touch them~pretty much everything else in our house is not off limits. The baskets on the bottom shelf are full of toys for the boys to reach easily. Every once in awhile they will make a big Lego creation that gets showcased there for a few weeks! Thank you so much!!!

      Delete

Please post your comments and suggestions :-)
Email me with questions@ melissa@thetinsel.com